|Robot Photobomb = WIN! Happy 1000 pageviews!|
Time was growing short as I waited for my buckles to arrive from EverythingRibbons, and my stress level was rising accordingly. In reality, they took less than two weeks to show up (having been ordered on April 26th) but in the meantime I kept staring at the smock and imagining what I might be forced to do if the buckles never materialized. You can imagine the joy when that little yellow shipping envelope was finally in my mailbox!
For those unfamiliar with the standard military style web belt buckle, they're nifty little devices that clamp the end of the belt in one side (with a toothy flap), then the other end is passed through the buckle and jammed in place (by a barrel pin). I chose these because I couldn't find anything else that quite met the shape of Dr. Zed's AND was metal to give it the authentic feel.
|Buckles, buckles everywhere!|
-8 military style web belt buckles (once again, I ordered mine here)
-About 50cm of nylon web belting (I used the excess from an old belt)
-About 10cm of 1" elastic
-A small piece of black fabric (I used spare liner from Moxxi's holster)
-More of the bias tape made in Part 1
For the buckles running down the front of the smock, first I figured out the placement and sketched/measured it out on the smock. Then I made the "holes" for the right hand side of the smock (where the buckles attach). Essentially, I sewed on bias tape (tucking the ends underneath) and made a very large "buttonhole" down the center of each piece. I had originally planned on using the buckles functionally (sewing belting on both sides of the smock and using the buckle to hold it together) but in the end, I made the buttonholes just small enough that when I jammed the pinching end of the buckle through the hole, it wouldn't budge. For extra safety, I also stitched them in place with embroidery floss in the back to ensure that it wouldn't budge. Ever.
|Not going ANYWHERE|
To attach the elastics to the shoulder armour, I sewed them on to a piece of bias tape, folded in the ends of the bias tape and sewed them in place, then sewed the bias tape under the front edge of the armour with a bit sticking out, as per the reference - also, I sewed the armour piece on to the under armour piece at this point so it wouldn't move and shift over the day. When that was together, I jammed the elastics in to the buckles and secured them (again, as much as I could as they were too thin and slipped over time.) Front done!
On the back, the process was a little different again (and not quite ideal, but I was running short on time). Attaching the buckles was the same process, but the belting on the back is gray. I used more of my trusty bias tape in place of the belt, and attached them with thicker pieces of the bias tape turned sideways and sewn around the outside. This also served to sew the shoulder armour piece to the back of the under-armour. Again, running out of time, but I ended up needing to draw on the detail for the straps with the fabric marker.
|So classy. For realz.|
Dr. Zed costume tutorials so far:
Dr. Zed Part 1 - Smock Basics
Dr. Zed Part 2 - Shoulder Armour and Flask Pocket