When I decided to take on the challenge of creating my Moxxi costume, it was clear that I couldn't just wear it alone; the hubby and I would be hitting Ottawa Comiccon together, and I was certain we'd both have a better experience if we were both in costume. Since I had chosen a Borderlands character, and we both love the series, it stood to reason that we do a pair! Dr. Zed was the perfect choice for Julian, sharing his sarcastic sense of humor and lack of "cares" to give, so as our resident artsy fartsy perfectionist it was my duty to bring both costumes to life.
|Who needs a medical license when you've got style?|
|So stylish... In camo no less|
Materials necessary, all from Fabricland:
-Beige material (2m should be plenty)
-Dark grey material (I went with 1m)
-Matching thread for the materials
-Long beige zipper
-Pattern for a suit long enough to go over the hips (I used Burda 7918)
My very first step was actually making bias tape. I looked long and hard for dark grey bias tape, but there was none to be had, so I made my own double fold bias tape. It actually worked out better that way, as the Dr Zed's bias tape in game varies wildly in size, so it gave me a little more freedom to follow the style. If you need to know how making bias tape works, check this tutorial HERE. I made a few different widths varying from 1/2" to 1 1/2" as opposed to one long line.
|It went a little something like this...|
|Observe, shaping and under armour!|
At this point, I decided that it would be much easier to put on if Julian didn't have to fiddle with all the buckles in the front, and if the under and over pieces were sewn together, so I installed a zipper. I installed it under the arm on the left side of the smock, though if I had been thinking, I would have put it on the right, as on the left it goes through both colours, where on the right, it would have only been on beige - oh well! If you need some assistance on installing zippers, there's a fabulous tutorial over on Make it & Love it. I had been looking for a long enough separable zipper to open the entire side (no luck) but a non-separable difference works just as well. Once the zipper was in, I put the smock on Julian, and drew out where to sew the front shut, and where the under needed to be sewed to the over in order to fit properly, and stitched them along the seam that attached the bias to the outer pieces to avoid extra seams.
|It should look a little like this!|